College Algebra (MAT 117)
This online college algebra course equips you with the skills to effectively solve problems using algebraic reasoning. What sets this course apart from a standard algebra course is its strong emphasis on the techniques that are used to solve problems. The goal is not to simply teach you mathematical forms but to help you understand the “whys” behind how you are solving problems.
Throughout this course, you will be able to participate in discussions with other students and the professor to help build your conceptual understanding of algebra.In this course, you will learn about systems of linear equations, rational functions, quadratic functions, logarithmic functions, general polynomial functions, and exponential functions.
Additionally, our college algebra online course uses cutting-edge adaptive technology (the ALEKS learning system). ALEKS is a personalized math tutor that will help you learn each of the skills in our course at your own pace, making it fun to learn algebra online. Our goal is to reduce your “math anxiety” and ensure you walk away feeling confident about math
This online college algebra course — offered as self-paced or instructor-led— equips you with the skills to effectively solve problems using algebraic reasoning.
Self-paced courses allow students to complete course assignments at their own pace, as long as the course is completed within a year. Self-paced courses are great for:
- Students who want to start right away
- Students who are self-directed and can set and stick to a plan for completing the course
- Students who may want to either go faster or slower than the instructor-paced version
Instructor-led courses have a structure with weekly assignment due dates, as well as an instructor guiding a student through the curriculum and content. Instructor-led courses are great for:
- Students who prefer a structured timeline with established due dates for assignments
- Students who enjoy interaction with other students, who will be completing assignments at the same time
- Students who are taking their first course online, and may benefit from greater guidance
What you’ll learn
- Use basic algebraic operations on numbers, expressions, and equations.
- Solve real-world application problems.
- Apply algebraic reasoning to solve a range of problems.
- Begin future studies in precalculus and calculus.
What to expect in class
ALEKS Topics, Quizzes, Active Learning Assignments, Practice Exams, Final Exam
Exams and grading
- 10% - Quizzes (2)
- 20% - Active Learning Assignments (4)
- 70% - Final Exam (1)
- 100% - Final Exam (1)