Aug 15, 2014 6:00:00 AM
Getting through high school can be a challenge for any teenager. It is a time of so much change in their physical appearance, their mental capabilities and their emotional limits. While any teenager can have struggles, it can be an especially difficult time for a child with autism. Any parent that is looking to help their autistic teenager get a great education in the best environment should consider online school.
Here are five reasons that online school might be the best solution for most autistic students.
- Online school gets rid of bullying. As much as schools try to fight bullying, it is something that is just very typical in the teenage years. People can be singled out for any little difference and be made fun of. This can be so painful for a person with autism and equally painful for their parents to watch. While they can't be protected from negative views their whole lives, they can be protected during their important years of growing and learning.
- Learning can be stylized for the specific student. The school will take into account the student's strengths and weaknesses and provide the courses that will work best for them. Students can access and listen to online instruction or they can learn at their own pace with online text books and labs. The possibilities are pretty limitless when it comes to online high school.
- They can enjoy the structure of their home. Many autistic people are most comfortable in the surroundings of their own home. They know and understand the rules and the limits of their homes. They will be more relaxed and able to learn better than in the unfamiliar atmosphere of a public school.
- Students will get to avoid some of the auditory pain that can be experienced in a school. Many autistic people have auditory struggles. The noise level at a typical school can be very painful and even distracting to their education. Also, days where there are fire drills or other safety drills that use loud alarm systems can be painful and traumatic.Those problems can be completely avoided with online school.
- Students get to put energy into their interests. Many autistic teenagers will have areas that they really do well in, even if they struggle in a typical classroom setting. Doing online school will allow students to spend less time struggling on school work and put more time into whatever they really love to do. They can really harness their creativity and add purpose to their life as they put their energy into whatever they are really good at.
Parents who are struggling with their teenager in a regular high school can get a great amount of relief from switching to online school. They will be amazed to watch a positive change come over their child who may have been struggling before.